Wednesday, June 14, 2006

More Ice Cream ....


I like ice cream. This may appear self evident but I thought I should say it for the record anyway. So it occurred to me that I should rate my tasting experiences and also let people know what is really in those packages. So I will be posting about different brands and what they are putting in their products.

The very hot weather we had a few weeks ago, sent ice cream aficionados racing to the nearest ice cream outlet. With no outlet serving really good stuff handy, I broke down and went into a local Macs Milk (Hey, what can I say...I was desperate!).

There were many of the ordinary sorts of ice cream available there BUT they also had ..... Haagen Dazs ice cream!!!! Obviously, I am not the only desperate ice cream hound that frequents this expensive store, because they had a good supply available and in several flavours! I finally bought two Vanilla Swiss Almond 500 ml cartons, priced at $6.29 each! Not even that price could stop me. It was worth the money for this late night snack.

The ingredients listed in this ice cream are as follows:

cream, sugar, chocolate coated almonds, ultra filtered skim milk, concentrated skim milk, liquid egg yolk, corn syrup, natural vanilla extract & salt

I also note the lack of interesting chemical compounds on the ingredients list for this brand of ice cream. If you want a natural ice cream, this one fills the bill. It is made in Canada by Nestle.

For a detailed history of this brand go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haagen_Dazs .

This ice cream gets 3 ice cream cones for taste, ingredients list and for using a lot of Canadian milk & cream.

No comments: